How does it feel when you are being monitored 24 x 7? What if I tell you that you are being watched every second of your life? Don’t believe me? Have you ever felt like you saw an advertisement for a product that you talked about last night?
Companies and the government track your data to predict your activities and control you better. Most companies monitor your activities across different websites to serve you with highly relevant advertisements.
Cybercriminals steal your data, and in the worst-case scenario, they may even take your identity! Your identity is precious, and having your identity stolen can compromise your safety and reputation.
So how can you stay clear from all this trouble and ensure your internet privacy?
Using a VPN is the best way to protect your internet privacy. It changes your IP address (assign you a new one based on the VPN server you are connected to), but it also protects your outgoing and incoming traffic with military-grade encryption!
This article about the best VPN service in 2020 will cover all the basics and some advanced knowledge about VPN along with the best VPN service in 2020 that you won’t regret after purchasing it!
Short Summary of recommended best VPN service for 2020
In A Rush to Stream Safely? Pick From The Best VPN Service 2020 Here!
Short Summary of recommended best VPN for any Business for 2020
In a rush to protect your business? Pick from The Best VPN for Business 2020 Here!
Why is VPN necessary in 2020?
There are public WiFi hotspots. These openly available networks that you can find anywhere from your library to Starbucks can be goldmines for hackers. Anytime you connect to a public WiFi, you are opening a Pandora’s Box of your privacy-invading possibilities.
Things get even worse.
Whether it is Comcast or any local provider, your ISP is now legally allowed to track, collect, and bundle up any data transmitted over their services and sell it whomever they like.
Using a way to protect your privacy is a major concern in 2020 as well as in the coming years.
So how can we solve these as well as other issues that we face on the internet? – by using a VPN
Before going into the details, let’s see what a VPN does.
VPNs lets you unlock everything available on the internet while keeping you and your information safe and secure. When you use the best VPN service, your traffic travels from your device to the destination in an encrypted tunnel.
The encryption that premium VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN provide is so sophisticated that no one can break-in. That means no one can access the data you send or receive, not even your ISP (Internet Service Provider), government, or even hackers.
When you use a VPN, it’s almost as if you’re invisible like a ninja while browsing online. You could even say it’s like the Cloak of Invisibility that Harry Potter uses to sneak around.
When you use the best VPN service, you could bypass geo-blocking and stream without restrictions, avoid monitoring and tracking, and avoid government censorship.
If you have some doubts regarding VPNs, here are some reasons you should get the VPN service in 2020:
- To protect your identity
- To protect your personal data like credit card info
- To escape surveillance from agencies and your government
- To protect yourself from cybercriminals
- To avoid Censorship
- To be anonymous, and leave no digital footprint
- To access geo-restricted contents
- To bypass Firewalls
- For gaming
- For torrenting
Which devices a VPN can cover?
Premium VPNs like NordVPN can cover five different Operating Systems: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux. These are the leading operating systems that almost 90 per cent of the people use to access the internet.
So no matter what, you will find a VPN that you could use for devices like smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, and even your Smart TVs.
What areas can VPN secure in 2020?
A VPN can secure all the aspects that revolve around the internet. It can help you in online gaming, Netflix, banking, surfing, access to restricted apps and websites, and many more.
- Hides your identity
A VPN encrypts your traffic and hides your IP address making sure that your digital footprints can’t be traced by any agencies or even by your government.
This will help you from any government surveillance and keeps you safe from advertisers. If you don’t know, the Internet Service Providers in the US are free to sell user data to any of their part advertisers.
- Bypass Geo-blocking
Have you ever seen a website that shows this content isn’t available in your location? Well, that is an example of geo-restriction. A VPN helps you to bypass this restriction access content around the world.
So you access streaming services like BBC iPlayer or Netflix catalog of a different country.
- Secure Online Connection
You could find free WiFi everywhere. The only problem with these is that they are often unsecured, which means you are putting your personal data (credit card details, bank account details, email login credentials, and more) at risk. A cyber-criminal could quickly grab all these data at ease.
A VPN resolves all these issues by encrypting your data so that nobody can monitor them. If any hacker tried to snoop around your data, they would just see gibberish.
- Prevent Bandwidth Throttling
Your ISP limits your bandwidth, which lowers your online speeds. They do these regularly to get rid of network congestion and make sure that there is enough bandwidth for all users.
While when you are using a VPN, your ISP won’t be able to see what you are doing online. So they won’t know whether you are using up too much bandwidth on streaming, or online games. So they won’t be able to throttle your internet bandwidth for doing any of these things.
- Bypass Firewalls
When you are at work, airport, school, or even in a hotel, you might have experienced their annoying firewall that prevents you from accessing certain services or websites. They do this because they often need to comply with regulations.
You can easily bypass any firewall that you encounter with the help of a VPN; it hides your IP address, the address for which the firewall restrictions have been applied.
An excellent VPN would even let you bypass government firewalls, like the Great Firewall of China, so that you won’t have to deal with government censorship.
- Secure Torrenting
Torrenting is really dangerous if not done correctly, and it can endanger your privacy if you are not using a VPN. All the members of Swarm (people uploading and downloading torrents) can see your IP address.
Moreover, torrenting can be illegal depending on your country’s lay. So using best vpn service for torrenting you can ensure that you don’t end up in any legal trouble.
- Improve Online Gaming Experience
Using a VPN, you will be able to play in any geographical location, so you could access any games that are banned in your region or haven’t been released there yet.
Moreover, A VPN will keep yourself safe from DDoS attacks, Swatting, and any unfair IP bans.
So when you install a chrome extensions for VPN, you can connect from different locations to bypass all the geo-restrictions without actually moving anywhere.
How does a VPN work?
If you continuously play online games or stream videos, your internet service provider may impose So what is a VPN and how does it work, let’s see.
A VPN works by routing your devices’ internet connection through a VPNs private server (chosen by you) rather than your internet service provider. So when your data is transmitted to the internet, it comes from the VPN server rather than your computer.
Therefore, a VPN protects your identity by hiding your IP address, a string of numbers that your ISP assigns to your device. On top of that, if your data is somehow intercepted, it will be unreadable until it arrives at its final destination.
A VPN creates a private VPN tunnel, from your device to the destination (another server or device), and hides all your critical data. This process is known as encryption.
So how secure is VPN?
The security of a VPN is reliant on factors like the technology the provider uses and the laws of your jurisdictions.
A VPN protocol is a technology your VPN uses to ensure that you are the fastest and the safest possible connection to the internet. The main VPN protocols in use today are:
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): It is a symmetric block cipher (algorithm) chosen by the US government to protect classified information. It is implemented in software and hardware throughout the world to encrypt sensitive data. It is essential for government computer security, cybersecurity, and electronic data protection.
- Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP): A protocol, where your device establishes a connection (tunnel) to the server (website) through which it transports all your data, securing it with their encryption at the same time.
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP/IPsec): It is an extension of the PPTP used by an Internet Service Provider to enable the operation of a VPN over the internet.
- Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP): It is a form of VPN tunnel that provides a mechanism to transport your PPP traffic through an SSL/TLS channel (secure tunnel).
- Internet Key Exchange, version 2 (IKEv2): It is a VPN encryption protocol that makes sure that the traffic is secure by establishing and handling the Security Association attribute within an authentication suite.
- OpenVPN: It is commercial open-source software that implements VPN techniques to create secure point-to-point (device to device) or site-to-site connections.
The security of your VPN services will depend on the country’s laws that you currently reside in or the country’s legislation where your VPNs server and company headquarters are located.
This is because the laws surrounding VPN are still new and evolving. If you are living in America or Western Europe, you could use a VPN service. But some countries like China, Russia, Iran, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) VPN use are restricted.
Depending on the country where a VPN provider is located, the company may be legally required to keep logs of your internet usage. They may even keep a record of your payments.
What are some of the free VPNs available?
Yes, some free VPNs are available. If you are looking for something for casual use, you will find something that will meet your needs; as long as you are happy with the restrictions that the free options usually come with.
Here is the list of best free VPNs that are available in the market.
Best Free VPN Service in 2020
- ProtonVPN Free
- Hotspot Shield Free
How to Choose a Free VPN
What is their business model: Providers are in for the money, so you must find out how these companies are making their profits. Some services like Hotspot shield providers a free version as a marketing tool to entice potential customers to move to their premium version. Some free VPN service sells user data to make money, which will compromise your security.
How it protects your device: If they provide their service as an extension to your browser, it will protect your browsing data. But the rest of your online data won’t be protected, including torrenting and online gaming.
What features do you lose: Most of the free VPNs have a premium version as well. To entice their customers, they usually cap your bandwidth, or the server selection, so that you will move on to their paid version.
No-Log Policy: Make sure that your provider doesn’t track, collect, or share your internet data. You can check that by going on to their terms and conditions page or the end-user license agreement.
As with any free services, you will have to pay for it in one way or another. These companies usually make money by showing you annoying targeted ads and slow connections with a limited plan, so there is no Netflix and torrenting for you.
Some VPNs sell your data to their partner’s other 3rd parties. So if the free VPN that you are using doesn’t let their partners track you, it may be because they are doing it themselves and then selling the data that they collected.
So should you choose a free VPN over a paid one? It’s always better to choose a premium VPN than a free one because the main reason you want a VPN is to protect your data and identity.
If a company that offers free VPN stores your data, then your data isn’t really secure. So it’s always a better decision to opt for a paid VPN rather than a free option.
What things you need to consider before buying a VPN
Since you pay for their services, you have to choose the best one that is effective and worthy of your hard-earned money. So here are some of the factors that you need to consider when buying a premium VPN:
- High Speed: This ensures that you get to enjoy fast downloads and high-quality streaming.
- Servers and Their Locations: Servers worldwide will help you stream and access content from anywhere you want. This will help you access materials that are geo-blocked in your region.
- Streaming: Some of the best VPNs will allow you to access popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+.
- Torrenting: Using best vpn service for torrenting is the way to ensure that your identity is anonymous when you download torrents.
- Gaming: A VPN should provide necessary means of protection, and can help you with issues such as latency, geo-blocked games, and cyber-attacks from other gamers.
- Device Compatibility: A wide range of device compatibility ensures that you can access all websites from different devices, from your desktop computers to iPhones.
- User Experience: You should always go for a VPN that is relatively easy to set up and use. An excellent User Interface with simple controls is a unique way to go.
- Censorship: An excellent VPN would even let you bypass government firewalls, like the Great Firewall of China, so that you won’t have to deal with government censorship.
- Support: You don’t want to wait for a day to get the answers to your queries, right? Excellent customer support is the backbone of any service or product.
- Target Customers: VPNs can be divided into 2 categories, for personal use and business use. So you must decide which type you should go for before choosing a VPN.
- Pricing: Some services provide you with excellent features at an affordable cost. Do remember that security features come at a price. If it’s free, then you are the product.
- Editors Rating: Lastly, see our rating before choosing the VPN for your protection. We have tested over 100s of VPNs in the market, and assigned a score based on the above criteria.