Many people assume that you don’t need a VPN because they own a Mac. In reality, cyber threats targeting macs are more prevalent than those targeting Windows PCs, according to a recent report. The total number of security threats has climbed more than 400% in the past years.
It is essential to use the best VPN service for Mac to protect your privacy and personal data. In this article, we will talk about the best VPN for Mac in 2020, which will boost your online protection.
Short Summary of recommended items
In A Rush to Protect Your Device? Pick From The Best VPN for Mac in 2020 Here!
Why You Need the best VPN service for Mac
Here is the reason why you need to get the best VPN service for Mac:
To Protect Your Identity
Apple has been recently sued for selling user’s iTunes data. User data is being sold for around $136 per 1,000 users, according to that lawsuit. Things get even worse. Internet Service Providers in the US are free to sell user data to any of their partner advertisers, so if you don’t download VPN for Mac, then your personal information is waiting to be sold.
To Prevent Throttling
Your ISP limits your bandwidth, which means your download speeds are intentionally reduced. This is done to ensure that all the users under your ISP get enough bandwidth. But when you are using the best VPN service for Mac, your ISP won’t be able to see what you are doing online. So they won’t know whether you are using up too much bandwidth on streaming, or online games. So they won’t be able to throttle your internet bandwidth for doing any of these things.
To bypass Geo-Blocking
Most of the websites have applied something known as geo-blocking to their services so that each user from different geo locations can see different content. If you want to watch content from Netflix UK, while you are in the US, then you have to use a VPN that works with Netflix. Using a VPN app for Mac, you could access any geo-blocked content by choosing a server from that country.
To Bypass Firewalls
When you are at work, airport, school, or even in a hotel, you might have experienced their annoying firewall that prevents you from accessing certain services or websites. You can easily bypass any firewall that you encounter with the help of a VPN app for Mac; it hides your IP address, the address for which the firewall restrictions have been applied.
Torrenting can be illegal depending on your country’s law. So torrenting is dangerous if not done correctly, and it can endanger your privacy if you are not using a VPN. So using a VPN can ensure that you don’t end up in any legal trouble. So make sure that you download VPN for Mac before you start torrenting.
By using any one of the best VPN for Mac, you will be able to play in any geographical location to access any banned games in your region or haven’t been released there yet. So get ready to have an ultimate gaming weekend.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Mac?
Since you pay for a VPN service, you have to choose the best one that is effective and worthy of your hard-earned money. Here are some of the factors that you need to consider when buying the best VPN for MacBook or any Mac devices:
Speed: Unless you want to tear your hair out, you should go for a VPN service that provides fast downloads and high-quality streaming.
Servers and Their Locations: Servers worldwide will help you stream and access content from anywhere you want. This will help you access materials that are geo-blocked in your region.
Streaming: Some of the best VPNs will allow you to access popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+.
Torrenting: Using a VPN for torrenting is the best way to ensure that your identity is anonymous when you download torrents.
Gaming: A VPN should provide necessary means of protection, and can help you with issues such as latency, geo-blocked games, and cyber-attacks from other gamers.
Device Compatibility: A wide range of device compatibility ensures that you can access all websites from different devices, from your MacBook to iPhones.
User Experience: You don’t want waste hours trying to configure your VPN app for Mac, right? A simple user interface with easy configuration will make your experience much more comfortable.
Censorship: An excellent VPN would even let you bypass government firewalls, like the Great Firewall of China, so that you won’t have to deal with government censorship.
24/7 Customer Support: No one wants to wait for a day to get the answers to their queries. Excellent customer support is the backbone of any service or product.
Pricing: Some services provide you with excellent features at an affordable cost. Do remember that security features come at a price. If it’s free, then you are the product.
Editors Rating: Lastly, see our rating before choosing the VPN for your protection. We have tested over 100s of VPNs in the market, and assigned a score based on the above criteria.
So without any delay, let’s see the best VPN for Mac in 2020.
Best VPN for Mac in 2020
Best-Known P2P Supported VPN
ExpressVPN comes first in the list of best VPN for Mac in 2020. They regularly top every speed test done by experts around the world and provide a 30-day money-back guarantee, which means you will get your money back if it doesn’t suit your needs.
ExpressVPN comes in three different plans:
- 1 Month Plan: Their one-month plan will cost you $12.95 per month.
- 6 Months Plan: This plan will cost you $9.99 per month and $59.95 when charged for 6 months.
- 15 Months Plan: Their fifteen-month plan comes with a special deal that includes 3 free months. This is their most popular plan and will cost you $6.67 per month and $99.95 when billed for the first 15 months.
- Military Grade Encryption: Your data is protected by AES-256 encryption, the standard trusted by security experts worldwide.
- 160 Server Locations: You could choose any of their 160 VPN servers in 94 countries worldwide.
- Stream from Anywhere: You can watch, stream, listen, and enjoy content from blocked and censored websites worldwide, even while travelling.
- Broad Device Compatibility: ExpressVPN provides award-winning software for your Mac, MacBook, iPad, and iPhone.
- 24 x 7 Support: You could contact them 27/7 via live chat and email to help you with anything that you need.
- No activity or Connection Logs: ExpressVPN does not log your traffic data, DNS queries, or anything that could be used to identify you. It ensures that you remain anonymous while browsing through the internet.
ExpressVPN Pros and Cons
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs available in the market, which is worth the money you spend. They always live up to their reputation and are recommended by experts around the world. It is the best VPN for Mac that is currently available in the market.
The Fastest VPN Around
NordVPN comes second in the list of best VPN for Mac in 2020. Their standard package gives you a whopping six simultaneous devices and military-grade encryption that ensures that your personal data remains safe.
NordVPN comes in 4 different plans:
- 1 Month Plan: Their one-month plan will cost you around $11.95 per month
- 1 Year Plan: NordVPN provides a one-year package that will cost you $6.99 per month ($83.88 when billed annually)
- 2 Year Plan: Their two-year plan will cost you $4.99 per month ($119.76 billed every two years)
- 3-Year Plan: This is their exclusive deal, which will cost you $3.49 per month ($125.64 billed every three years)
- Lightning Speed Connection: You won’t have to sacrifice speed for security when using NordVPN in your MacBook
- Military Grade Encryption: With NordVPN, all your internet data and usage stays sage behind a wall of next-generation encryption
- Massive Number of Servers: You can choose from 5000+ servers in 59 countries
- High-Quality Streaming: With their high-speed connection, you can say goodbye to buffering and enjoying your TV time anywhere. It is one of the best VPN for Netflix
- Strict No-Logs Policy: They don’t track, collect, or share private information with anyone, so you can stay anonymous
- Multiple Devices: NordVPN’s one account lets you connect up to 6 different devices so that you can protect all your devices from your MacBook to your iPhone
- Support 24/7: Their team of experts is there to help you with all the problems that you may face
NordVPN is one of the best VPN for Mac in 2020, and its SmartPlay feature makes it an ideal choice for streaming on Mac. When you combine their 6 simultaneous connections with their already low-priced plans, there isn’t much to think about.
Super User-Friendly, Perfect for Beginners
They are a relatively new VPN service provider that has quickly become a crowd favorite over the past few years. Their 2-year plan will cost you $1.99 per month, making it one of the best cheap VPNs, currently available in the market.
Surfshark VPN comes in three different pricing plans:
- 1 Month Plan: Their one-month plan will cost you $11.95 per month
- 12 Month Plan: Their twelve-month plan will cost you $5.99 per month (billed $71.88 annually)
- 24 Month Plan: Their twenty-four-month plan will cost you $1.99 per month (billed $47.76 every 24 months)
- High-Level Encryption: They guard your data by using industry-leading AES 256-GCM encryption.
- Unlimited Devices: You can connect and use all your devices simultaneously. You can protect as many devices as you would like at once
- Streaming: Surfshark can unblock Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer, so they are one of the best VPN apps for Mac
- Anonymous Browsing: You can protect your privacy by hiding your real IP address connected to your digital identity, so your government, as well as advertisement agencies, won’t be able to track your online behaviour
- Camouflage Mode: This mode makes sure that even your internet provider can’t tell that you are using a VPN
- Strict No-Logs Policy: They don’t monitor, track, or store what you do online
Their consistent speed with the seamless streaming of Netflix makes them an excellent choice for your entertainment purposes. Surfshark offers quality features at an affordable rate, making them the best VPN for MacBook or any Mac devices.
Both Fast and Secure, Making It Perfect for Streaming
CyberGhost comes next in the list of best VPN for Mac. Their fantastic server coverage quickly helps you to get around any restrictions so that you can enjoy more content.
CyberGhost VPN comes in 3 different pricing plans:
- 1 Month Plan: Their one-month plan will cost you $12.99 per month, and you will get a 14-day money-back guarantee
- 6 Month Plan: Their six-month play will cost you $7.99 per month and get a 45-day money-back guarantee
- 18 Month Plan: This is their best value plan, which will cost you $2.75 per month. The 18-month package includes the most significant savings and is fully refundable for 45 days
- Strongest Encryption: 256-bit military-grade encryption at all times
- Massive Number of Servers: Global VPN server coverage with over 6300 servers in more than 90 countries.
- Best Streaming Experience: It is one of the best VPN for Netflix. With their specialized VPN servers optimized for streaming needs, you could enjoy your favourite video content without any restriction.
- Access Restricted Content: You can use CyberGhost VPN to bypass any geo-restriction and access blocked websites.
- Torrent Anonymously: You could find servers that are optimized for torrenting. Not only do they reroute your connection through an encrypted tunnel, but they also put a stop to all your ISP throttling.
- No Logs Policy: They Don’t track your activity over the internet and make sure that nobody snoops on your digital life.
CyberGhost allows you to protect 7 devices at a time and ensure that all your devices remain protected. If you are new to VPN services, then you should definitely go for CyberGhost. CyberGhost is the best VPN for Mac.
Certified No-Logging VPN
PrivateVPN provides a straightforward high-performance service. Their stealth mode is excellent for bypassing any censorship with ease. They only provide you with 150+ servers in 60 countries, which isn’t that great.
PrivateVPN provides you 3 different plans to choose from:
- 1-Month Plan: Their one plan will cost you $7.67 per month
- 3 Months Plan: This plan will cost you $4.88 per month, and $14.63 is billed every three months
- 13-Months Plan: PrivateVPN provides a thirteen-month plan, which will cost you $3.82 per month, and $49.68 is charged every thirteen months
- Speed: PrivateVPN provides one of the fastest VPN services that are available in the market
- Strongest Encryption: They provide the most robust encryption with 2048-bit encryption with AES-256
- 6 Simultaneous Connections: PrivateVPN allows you to connect six devices at a time
- Stealth Mode: This mode will enable you to bypass VPN blocks in countries like China
- Torrenting: It is a torrent-friendly VPN that supports unlimited P2P file-sharing activities
- Streaming: It is one of the best VPN for Netflix, PrivateVPN supports 21 Netflix regions
PrivateVPN is an excellent multi-purpose VPN service with strengths like stealth mode, torrenting support, and strict no-log policy. Their sleek design is easy to use and makes them the best VPN for MacBook and all your Apple devices.
|Servers and Their Locations||160 locations in 94 countries||5000+ servers in 59 countries||1700+ servers in 63+ countries||6200 servers in 88+ countries||150+ servers in 60 countries|
|Torrenting||Yes||On some servers||Yes||Yes||Not torrent-friendly|
|Device Compatibility||Supports all major platforms||Supports all major platforms||Supports all major platforms||Supports all major platforms||Supports all major platforms|
|User Experience||Easy installation and setup||Easy to use, but OpenVPN configuration isn’t user friendly||Simple account setup and easy to use||Simple account setup and easy to use||Simple account setup and easy to use|
|Censorship||Works in China||Works in China||Works in China||Doesn’t work in China||Works in China|
|24/7 Customer Support||No Phone Support||Yes||Only available through tickets||Only available through tickets||Live chat isn’t available 24/7|
FAQ About VPNs for Mac
Q: Do you need a VPN on Mac?
Yes, VPNs are just as essential on Mac as compared to Windows. In fact, the number of security threats on Apple devices has climbed more than 400% in the past years.
Q: Can you get a VPN on a MacBook?
A: Yes, you can use any of the VPN services that are mentioned above in your MacBook. All these services provide an application for each apple device.
Q: Does Safari have a built-in VPN?
No, but ExpressVPN provides an extension for the Safari browser so that all your browsing activity remains safe.
Q: What is a good VPN for Mac?
We have mentioned the best VPN for Mac that are currently available in the market.
Best VPN for MacBook or any Apple devices
Never assume that you don’t need a VPN because you own a Mac. Many security experts have provided that Macs are far from immune to any online threats. In fact, Apple has been recently sued for selling its user’s iTunes data. Buy the best VPN for Mac.
A VPN is one of the best and affordable ways to protect your online privacy. If you have any doubts, do ask me in the comments.